Thursday 14 April 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TGI'S

Craig Jones helps TGI Friday’s celebrate its 25th birthday and ends up ever so slightly inebriated

Readers of The Natter may recall late last year our reporter Tamsin Eames received a crash course in ‘flair bartending’ at TGI Friday’s, creating her own concoction, The Lady Pint.

Recently I returned to TGI’s Trafford Centre restaurant to see if it had become a hit during the chain’s 25th birthday celebrations.






Unsurprisingly, The Lady Pint – which consisted of every ingredient on the bar lovingly chucked into a pint glass – hadn’t made its way onto TGI’s never-ending menu of cocktails (although the Passion Punch did look like it had ripped it off slightly). But they have debuted a new beverage created by Trafford Centre bartender Warren Parsonage.

The elegant drink known as The Skyy High Elderberry beat 57 other cocktails in a battle to be added to the chain’s nationwide drinks menu. Each of TGI’s UK stores nominated one new cocktail made by a member of their staff as an entry in their mixology competition.

Winner Warren said: “I’m buzzing that my cocktail has been chosen to become part of Friday’s famous cocktail menu. Friday’s is known for its cocktail innovation and now I can proudly say that one of my own creations will be on the menu next to some all-time classics.”


Craig and Tamsin sample the now legendary,
but sadly no longer available, ‘Lady Pint’

The Skyy High Elderberry is a refreshing blend of Skyy vodka, crème de Mure, apple juice, and elderflower cordial. Warren was more than happy to demonstrate making it with the aid of a few tricks and flicks in front of some adoring punters during the restaurant’s birthday party.

Every hour Friday’s’ highly skilled flair team put on a spectacle of showmanship and audaciousness that even cocktail Casanova Tom Cruise couldn’t have matched in his Eighties pomp.

The Trafford Centre bar team was led by Adi Astley, main picture, above, who is TGI Friday’s 2010 UK Flairing Champion. Adi had the honour of choreographing a world record breaking routine to kick-off TGI’s 25th birthday celebrations earlier this year.

It saw 101 bartenders performing for over two minutes without dropping a bottle or falling out of sync. This set a new Guinness World Record title for the ‘Most People in a Simultaneous Cocktail Flair’.

Adi said: “That was a really great day and we had so much fun. I’m so proud of everyone. Flair is about creating theatre and fun around the bar experience.”

On our previous visit me and Tamsin were guided by the capable flairing hands of barman Ian Brooke, who taught us how to make (and sample) various cocktails. This time I briefly made a cameo behind the bar with my tutor. It’s fair to say the apprentice hasn’t yet outgrown the master as I wasn’t an unprecedented success.

Ian tried to teach me to flick a bottle and land it standing back on the palm of my hand. At the best of times my hand-eye coordination isn’t great and after supping a fair few cocktails it wasn’t at its most impressive. I attempted the trick only to inadvertently hit the bottle back towards Ian striking him in an area of his body where it’s always bound to hurt. Thankfully everyone – including Ian – saw the funny side of it.

I rather sheepishly returned to the other side of the bar after experiencing the kind of embarrassment Del Boy once suffered in a cocktail bar.

Luckily, I was saved from further suffering after I foolishly agreed to try a Flaming Lamborghini cocktail, which explodes if you make the slightest wrong move. In my increasing drunken state I couldn’t hide my fear and thankfully I lived to fight another day when my ‘flair bartending’ friends said we’d sadly not have enough time to set it up (what a relief! I dodged a bullet there).


Record breakers: TGI bartenders set a Guinness World Record for simultaneous flairing

TGI’s used the party as a fitting opportunity to present a cheque for £30,000 to their charity partner, the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

New York’s finest is now halfway to the Big Five-O but there’s one thing for certain, they won’t grow old quietly – there’s sure to be lots of excitement upon the way. Bring on another 25 years and Happy Birthday TGI Friday’s.

To see TGI Friday’s record breaking flair bartenders in action follow this link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqwe5KR1tg

No comments:

Post a Comment